Founded in 1977, Canadian Parents for French (CPF) is a nationwide, research-informed, volunteer organization that furthers bilingualism by promoting opportunities to learn and use French for all those who call Canada home. With more than 10,000 members in BC & Yukon (36,000 across Canada), CPF is a powerful voice for French Second Language programs. In fact, CPF parents are behind the emergence of just about every French Immersion program in BC.
Your North Vancouver CPF Chapter is one of 150 CPF chapters across Canada. We are an enthusiastic group of parent volunteers with representatives in each of NVSD’s French Immersion schools. Here’s what we do:
- We organize all kinds of fun and exciting events and activities – including parent workshops, film festivals, public speaking competitions and socio-cultural events – all in French!
- We work in partnership with NVSD teachers, administrators and District staff to help create unique learning experiences both in and outside of the classroom
- We offer parent workshops, offer resources, answer questions or concerns to help both you and your child throughout their education
- We are part of a network of more than 10,000 members in BC and the Yukon who are continually advocating for high quality French programs for students from Kindergarten to Grade 12
- Our website and social media accounts offer information about community activities, performances, scholarships, and exchange programs, resources, where to find summer French camps and how to support CPF’s advocacy for French language learning.
The chapter is supported by provincial branch, CPF BC & Yukon, a volunteer-led organization that seeks to create and promote French language learning opportunities and resources. More than 10,000 members strong, it has been advocating for access to quality French-language education across B.C. and Yukon since 1978.
A valuable partnership with North Vancouver School District
For over 40 years, CPF North Van parent volunteers have worked in partnership with teachers, administrators and staff at all 10 French Immersion schools in the North Vancouver School District to help create unique French-language learning experiences both in and outside of the classroom!
- French Immersion Parents Survival Night at Cleveland Elementary (a popular event to gather parents together as a community. Teachers and veteran French Immersion parents share their tips and tricks)
- French Film Festival – all District French Immersion classes were invited to attend as a field trip (in class showing during the pandemic)
- Late Immersion, Staying in French information evenings
- District Concours d’art oratoire, French speaking competition, in partnership with the North Vancouver School District
- Socio-cultural grants to help fund French performances at our schools
- French Immersion celebration/volunteer appreciation events every February
- French Movie nights for children and families
- Distribution of commemorative Double Dogwood pins
- Grade 12 French Immersion Graduation events at all three French Immersion high schools
In order to continue to provide these wonderful, meaningful activities and experiences, we rely on memberships and volunteers!
- To support CPF North Vancouver, consider becoming a CPF member by visiting our Membership page.
- To get involved as a volunteer, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org! You will find a welcoming community, a network of support and a place to share ideas and organize memorable events for students in the North Vancouver School District.
CPF North Van is very proud of our accomplishments to date! Here are some photos from past events such as Film Fest, Concours d’art oratoire, Braemar’s winter Carnaval, Grade 12 graduation events and more!